Is it picnic season yet? I think it’s getting close, which means that it’s time to start dreaming up some creative picnic ideas. There’s no exact recipe for a picnic, in my opinion. It’s a fancy way to say “get some food, and go outside.” Go through your fridge, to the farmer’s market, or the grocery store, and see what is ready to eat and what is looking delicious. When I was cooking over in Europe, I came to learn that a picnic was just really a part of everyday life. Grab a loaf of bread, some cheese, salami, pickled things, wine, and sit in the grass with some friends. That’ll do…or c’est bon, if you will. For our purpose, i’ve put together a list for a healthy, fueling, fun, and simple picnic to get you outside. Take this picnic to the park, up a mountain, to the river, on a kayak, or wherever your little picnic adventure takes you. Whatever you eat, and wherever you go…please share your picnic with us in the comment section below or via. email! Eat your heart out, Yogi Bear.
- 1 bunch of Carrots, with tops on (about 5 carrots)
- 1 bunch radishes, tops on
- 1 bunch Asparagus, thin if possible
- 1 container of your favorite Hummus (8-12 oz.)
- 1 Cucumber, large
- 1 6 oz. bag Smoked Salmon (I recommend Patagonia Provisions or Drifters Fish brand)
- 8 oz of your favorite cheese (hard cheeses are recommended for outdoor eating)
- 1 jar of your favorite olives
- 1 avocado
- 1 round of your favorite bread
- 3 apples
- 1 small container cinnamon sugar (in a shaker is best)
- -Fizzy water, water with orange slices, or your favorite drink to enjoy outside 😉
- Wash the first 3 ingredients and dry well. Pack these in a small cooler bag with the hummus.
- Pack the rest of the ingredients carefully in a soft cooler, basket, or backpack, depending on where you are going and how long you will have the food out of the fridge. A soft cooler is always a good way to go.
- Bring along the fizzy drink of choice, reusable silverware, a pocketknife (for cutting the veggies), cloth napkins, and small reusable plates if necessary. Also, toss in a lightweight blanket or sheet for spreading out all of these delicious treats. Lastly, remember to bring along a bag for your compost/trash ingredients so that you can pack everything out.
- When you are at your picnic spot, take out all of the ingredients and combine the ingredients as you see fit. I recommend the carrots, radishes and asparagus with the hummus; the cucumber sliced and topped with smoked salmon and avocado; the olives on their own; slices of cheese on their own or with ripped off pieces of bread; or the avocado smooched onto the bread; and the apples slices sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
*For incredible Picnic Ingredient inspiration check out: