Down to Earth Bowl.
Hiking fuel that doesn’t take like gruel? Yes, please. This super earthy bowl stemmed from a desperate need for a healthy, fueling breakfast before going on a hike one day. I was fresh out of oats, and ran out of time to heat anything up…so I went to the pantry, the fruit bowl, and the fridge to see what could be thrown together. The goal before any good adventure is to eat something that is balanced primarily in good fats, carbs, and flavor. Fuggedabout cereal…it won’t keep you full! Sidenote: This is also a great way to feed yourself on a camping trip. You can mix together the dry ingredients beforehand, bring along some hardy fruits (citrus or apples) and get earthy with it.
- 1 cup yogurt (I love plain Annie's)
- 2 bananas, cut into slices
- 2 large grapefruits, peeled, and sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, raw, unsalted
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup flax or quinoa puffs
- 1 cup toasted buckwheat
- 8 T. good honey
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 T. ground cinnamon
- Get together 4 bowls (or tupperware containers if you are taking this to eat on the road).
- Divide the next 8 ingredients between 4 bowls.
- Drizzle the bowls with the honey and the melted coconut oil.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon if you desire!
- *Note: You can totally be creative with this recipe, that is the real beauty of the super earthy bowl. See what bulk items you have available in your pantry, in your fruit bowl, in the fridge...and toss in some different ingredients. If you want to get really crazy awesome with it, make a green smoothie and pour that into the bowl before you add the other ingredients...kinda like a Acai Bowl, woo hoo!
Fueled and ready for a beautiful hike, woo hoo!